Looking Back

I remember someone (my grandfather, was it?) saying if you walk away from your car and then turn to look back at it, that tells you something.

I've had the Boxster for just over a year now, and I think I have developed a crick in my neck from all the gazing back as I leave it in a parking spot.

A year is as good a point in time as any to reflect and take stock of what was a pretty momentous car purchase for me. If you've read my posts right from the start here, you'll know what a long and sometimes tortuous journey it was to get to the point where I picked it up from the factory in Germany as the full-fledged owner.

Throughout the whole process, I didn't have much in the way of doubts as to what I was trying to do - not a lot of second-guessing the decision to go ahead and buy a very expensive sports car. Now, a year later, I'm happy to say I don't have any doubts that it was a great idea. I've not regretted it for a second. Not the decision to buy, not the choice to go for European Delivery (which meant a lot of delay and angst), and most of all, no regrets about the choice of vehicle and the options selected.

It really is the perfect car for what I wanted.

It's been on the track (The Green Hell no less). It's been the daily driver on a three-week-long road trip. It's been camping. It's commuted to work. It's been my solo companion to NB, and a perfect companion for my daughter and I to travel there too.

More importantly though - it's been the thing I choose to put a grin on my face whenever I need a happy thought. Whether it's taking it out for an evening blast to go get ice cream, or a late night visit down to the garage to just look at it. Maybe an afternoon spent just washing and waxing (apparently I do a lot of that). That red paint. Those gorgeous curves along the front fenders and rear shoulders. The tidy front 'chin' and fuss free rear end. The massive 5-spoke wheels that speak to Porsche tradition and are also super easy to clean! The growl on start up. The cozy interior. The razor-sharp handling. The thrust across the rev range.

Bad day at the office? Take the Porsche out.
Frustrated with the school system? Take the Porsche out.
Sore back? Take the Porsche out (and put the seat heater on).
Bored? Take the Porsche out.

No more boredom.

I'm reminded of when I lived out in the country and I had my RSX. I'd find reasons to take it out for a drive. Like, any reason. Uh oh, out of milk! No problem. Jump in the car and drive the 10 km to the corner store. Fast! Oops, forgot to get cereal while I was there. Go back! A friend needs a lift - no problem! I'm there!

Physically, it's a mechanical thing - a tool for transport - an 'appliance' really - but for me the GTS is so much more than that, obviously. It represents something. It's a personal expression of part of my personality, coupled with being a way for me to navigate (pun intended) my path, feeling good about myself and the life I am living. It's a way for me to keep looking forwards with excitement and anticipation at all the things to come. And ironically, it's that forward momentum that has me looking backwards all the time.

Yep. Every time I walk away from it, I turn back to look.

And smile.

~ Luke




Comments

Post a Comment