Early Saturday Mornings

Life is pretty busy, so you have to grab the opportunities to get away when you can, am I right?

And what better way to do that than behind the wheel of the Boxster?

Saturday mornings have become a thing - get up early and get out for a little road action before the day's activities kick off. Between chores and errands, teenager events, and socializing with friends, the weekends are busy. Even finding the time for a proper car wash is a challenge! Thank goodness for pressure washers to quickly blast the bugs off after a quick outing.

This week I map out a little longer route; Google Maps telling me it is somewhere around 200 kms. Getting up early means I can get the 2.5 hours of driving in before a nice breakfast at Scottie's after, and then 'start' my day.


I slap on some sunscreen and then carefully wash my hands clean - can't get that evil stuff on the car's interior 'coz I've yet to find a product that truly gets rid of it properly. Maybe steam? Grabbing a coat in case it turns out cooler than I think, and pulling my ballcap down tightly over my head, I head for the garage outside and open the door, letting the early morning sunshine illuminate that gorgeous red machine.

I take a moment and look at it, just drinking in the look, the paintwork, the stance. I feel like pinching myself a little. Can it really be mine? Sitting there in the garage, just waiting to be brought out to play, it's stunning every time I see it. I've gotten used to backing it into the garage, so now it looks out at me, hunkered down and ready to get on with it. The clean front end with the slightly more aggressive GTS front grill treatment (compared to the regular Boxster) looks so purposeful, and the headlight housings are jewels, especially when the two sets of four daytime running lights are ablaze. I love the look of them.

I pop the frunk and throw my jacket in, carefully closing it and using my sleeve so as not to fingerprint the glossy paint. I know, I know, but there's no other way to close the lid. It does shut with the most satisfying metallic click as you press down on the emblem, the sound exuding the solid craftsmanship, as it most certainly should do. The solidity translates to the driver's door too, as I open it, carefully (and rather ungracefully!) lower myself in, and pull it closed with a heavy, satisfying ker-clunk. Solid.

Seat belt fastened, I turn the key left of the steering wheel and the flat six barks to life, it's now-familiar mechanical warmup sounds grumbling and growling before settling into that low rumble. I ease the clutch in and snick the stubby aluminum lever into first and together we trundle out of the garage into the sunshine.

Time for some indulgence, Porsche-style.

~ Luke

Comments