A Tiny Shift

Well, tiny lettering anyway.

With the help of a paint pen, a bright light, and a magnifying glass (old eyes!) I spruced up the shifter in the 718 tonight. Just gives a bit of life to the shift pattern, without having to pay the Porsche tax for an aftermarket shifter. I've seen those online for crazy money, and people certainly are keen on replacing the stock shift knob with all manner of different ones.

For myself, I find the existing shifter to be just fine thank you very much; nicely weighted under the hand, smooth to the touch and it doesn't seem to get roasting in the sun (unlike the S2000's!). It moves very positively into each gear, so I don't know what all the fuss online is about needing a heavier knob to 'improve the shift feel'. Can't say I find it lacking at all.

Future musings include the short-shift kit from the T and GT4 models, but there's certainly no rush. Saving for tires? Now THAT'S a priority!

A second coat of red on the H-pattern made it pop a little more, so I might do a 'wash' with some diluted black just to darken it a bit - make it a bit more Carmine rather than Guards...or maybe not...

Anyway, just another bit of garage puttering while I wait for the days to lengthen and warm up.

~ Luke

p.s. Still not sure what to call it: the 718, the Boxster, the GTS, the Porsche...Red? Definitely not the Porsche 718 Boxster GTS 4.0! What a mouthful!

Comments

Post a Comment