Quality Quiet Time

Home safe and sound, my 718 in hand.

With the rain beating down, I’m taking the time to tackle the list of little things I had planned for this car over the past three years. You know, when you have that much time to ponder, your list can get pretty long!

First off was mounting the rear license plate properly. I’m definitely not a fan of the standard two sheet metal screws right into the rear bumper factory approach. Granted one doesn’t continually take the rear plate off and on a lot, but something about the gnarled up plastic around the holes just bugs me. 

Enter Carpokes, and Tom’s properly-crafted rear-plate mounts. Double-sided tape and inset threads for black anodized screws are the business, and the plate now sits secure and slightly proud of the rear fascia. Looks cleverly 3D and a side benefit is the space for muck to fall free from behind the plate. Quality work.

Second was the removable front-plate solution from Carbonio. Again, the magic of 3M double-sided tape comes into play, and I end up with a small mounting plate under the leading edge of the front radiator surround opening. Practically invisible, and the front plate now nestles in the frunk should I need to pop it on ever. The car just looks so much better with a clean front end. Happy.

The final mini-upgrade for the day is one I see every time I slide into the cockpit. Again, Tom’s wizardry with the 3D printer comes to the fore as the mode dial cover notches into place with a satisfyingly audible click. A splash of colour in my admittedly low-key interior. It’s already been noticed by many an observer when they peer into the cabin. “What’s that knob for?” At which point I get to launch into the merits of the different modes, likely to their chagrin for asking!

A pleasant way to spend an afternoon in the garage; music on, coffee in hand, the rain pattering down outside, and me and my beauty quietly getting to know each other a little better.

718 Life has truly begun.

~ Luke




Comments