Revealed.

OK, so the grin could not be wider on my face.

After a great time at the Porsche experience centre, with lunch, a track session, soaking up some museum, and a factory tour (which frankly, blew me away), we then stepped forward in the "pits" and picked up the keys to our new cars.

Finally.

Simultaneously the cars are revealed to us, and we share an awkward clap on the shoulder as the beautiful Carmine Red paintwork appears when the black silk cloths slide off. As predicted, I am choked up - the momentous feeling of finally getting the car that I had been working towards for so long. The reality of the moment. That feeling of "Wow, it's really, really mine".

Photos don't do the sheet metal justice. From any angle, I think it's a stunning car. I have to drink it in for a bit, walking around and around it, almost not daring to touch it. So glad we went for the Carmine Red - it's gorgeous. Clean and lustrous, it's a 'true' red that, under the indoor lighting, looked rich and deep and so...I don't know...serious.

Opening the door and settling down into the cockpit is, again, extra special. I'd sat in a 718 before, but now this one is all mine and that adds something for sure. I touch the surfaces, put my hands on the wheel, wiggle in the seat and adjust to find the perfect position. Feels good. Like, really good.

Everything feels...solid - certainly not cheap or 'tinny' (nor should it!)...and again, I got that sensation of purposefulness, and seriousness - not playfulness. I'm sure that will come as I drive it more and more, but right now, it feels truly purpose-built for serious performance, without compromise. Maybe I'm just layering on my emotions, but it feels different from the S2000, in a sort of "Yep, you are a nice little sports car, very pure and sporty, but now it's time for the adults to play" kind of way. Silly maybe, but that's my sense. Just awesome.

After some paperwork, and nice chit chatting with the instructors (who were also the delivery guys), it's time to pull them out of the 'pits' so those nice fellows could call it a day. They don't rush us at all - clearly they know how this goes for people - but we want to get out of their way anyway.

That means turning the key. Lighting up the instrument panel. And then hearing the bark of that engine for the first time. Chills. We time the pull-out to match, and the two red machines creep out of the garages and down the pitlane to where we can park and pack them.

It's all a lot to take in, but I know the next few weeks will really be about learning the nuances - these are just the first 'feels'. Excited. Happy. A tad overwhelmed.

Onwards to break-in and the Alps!

~ Luke